Table of Contents
This page last changed 2023.11.10 08:52 and viewed 1 time today, 1 time yesterday, and 34 total times since Nov 10, 2023.
Dealing with Food Issues
Some material from Baking ingredients guide, substitutions, from Food Network, a site that explains the different types of flour, sugar, baking powder vs soda, yeast, and other essentials.
You have this but you need that.
Make Whole Milk from Skim
You have skim milk. You like 1%, 2%, or whole milk. What can you do?
Start with the cream or half-and-half (pick one) in a measuring cup. Top with skim milk to 1 cup.
|To get||Add this much heavy cream||Add this much half & half|
Where 1.5t means 1 1/2 teaspoons, 2T means 2 tablespoons
From Thought Company
You have regular milk and you want to have buttermilk for baking. Buttermilk is more acidic than regular milk, so it reacts with baking soda or baking power, releasing carbon dioxide bubbles.
You can use any kind of milk, whole, 25, 1%, or skim.
How do to this choose one:
- Pour 1T lemon juice into measuring cup, add milk to reach 1 cup mark. Let it sit at room temp for 5-10 minutes
- Pour 1T of while vinegar into measuring cup, add milk to reach the 1 cup mark. Let sit for 5 minutes, stir and use.
There are other ways on the linked Thought Company page including using yogurt, sour cream, and cream of tartar.
Substitute skim for whole milk in recipes
From Live Strong, skim milk can serve as a whole-milk substitute in baking recipes. You can substitute 1 cup of whole milk by 1 cup skim milk plus 1T liquid vegetable oil in recipes.
Substitutions from Food Network
|Baking Powder (double-acting)||1 teaspoon = 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar + 1/4 teaspoon baking soda|
|Baking Soda||1/4 teaspoon = 1 teaspoon baking powder (any acidic ingredients in the recipe will have a more assertive, tangier flavor)|
|Buttermilk||1 cup = 1 cup yogurt (not Greek) or 1 cup milk + 1 tablespoon vinegar or lemon juice; let the mixture sit until curdled before using, about 10 minutes|
|Cake Flour||1 cup = 1 cup - 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour + 2 tablespoons cornstarch|
|Self-Rising Flour||1 cup = 1 cup all-purpose flour + 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder + 1/4 teaspoon salt|
|Cream of Tartar||large pinch to 1/4 teaspoon = 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice|
|Dutch Process Cocoa Powder||1/2 cup = 1/2 cup natural cocoa + replace the baking powder in the recipe with half the amount of baking soda|
|Natural Cocoa Powder||1/2 cup = 1/2 cup Dutch process cocoa + replace the baking soda in the recipe with twice the amount of baking powder|
|Eggs||1 egg = 3 tablespoons mayonnaise or 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed + 3 tablespoons water; let sit 5 minutes before using. Exception: Do not substitute for any recipe that uses whipped egg whites.|
|Half-and-Half||1 cup = 1/2 cup whole milk + 1/2 cup heavy cream|
|Heavy Cream||1 cup = 1 cup whole milk + 1 tablespoon melted butter|
|Pumpkin Pie Spice||1 teaspoon = 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon + 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger + 1/8 teaspoon ground clove + 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg|
|Iodized Salt||1/2 teaspoon = 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt|
|Kosher Salt||1/2 teaspoon = 1/4 teaspoon iodized salt|
|Semisweet Chocolate||1 ounce = 3 tablespoons cocoa powder + 3 tablespoons granulated sugar + 1 tablespoon oil or melted butter|
|Dark Brown Sugar||1 cup = 1 cup granulated sugar + 2 tablespoons molasses or 1 cup light brown sugar|
|Light Brown Sugar||1 cup = 1 cup granulated sugar + 1 tablespoon molasses or 1 cup dark brown sugar|
|Lemon Juice||1 teaspoon = 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar|
|Sour Cream||1 cup = 1 cup plain yogurt|
|Vanilla Extract||1 teaspoon = 1 teaspoon bourbon or rum|
|Whole Milk||1 cup = 1 cup skim or low-fat milk + 2 tablespoons melted butter|
|Yogurt||1 cup = 1 cup sour cream|
Tips and Ideas
The following taken from Webspoon World "10 Brilliant Budget Ideas"
Leftover Nutella Ice Cream
Use a mostly-empty Nutella jar. You need cream and a frother (or small mixer that will fit in the jar)
- Heat cream
- Pour into Nutella jar
- Use frother (or small mixer) to mix everything in the jar until smooth
- Replace cap and put in freezer overnight
Extend life of tomato paste
Use a silicon ice-cube tray
- Pour tomato paste to fill all the parts of the tray
- Put in freezer
- When frozen, push out the frozen tomato paste cubes as needed to use when cooking
Pancake mix hack
- Make your pancake mix
- Put in a catsup squeeze jar
- Store in refrigerator
- When making pancakes, squeeze mix out of jar (like you were squeezing catsup)
Poaching an egg using a strainer
- Boil water
- Insert strainer in pan and into water
- Break egg into strainer (into water)
- When done to your satisfaction, remove strainer and you have poached egg
Defrost meat quickly
For 1-2 pounds frozen meat (chicken was shown but should work with red meats)
- Put room-temperature water into a large bowl
- Add ~1 Tablespoon salt and mix
- Put meat into saltwater
- Meat is defrosted in 12-15 minutes
Peal onion husks easily
- Put onion into a large bowl
- Add boiling water to cover the onion
- After a few minutes, it'll be easy to remove husks and cut onion
Storing cheese to avoid mold
- Wrap the cheese in parchment paper
- Place it in a sealed container